Penetrating damp is water entering your building from the outside. Occurring at all levels of the building but more so higher up on southwest facing walls. It is an issue that can affect all building.
Penetrating damp can be damaging to a property even if it does not penetrate all the way through, often leading to other damp proofing issues such as heat loss, damp musty smells, frost damage into masonry and unsightly water damage internally and externally.
Causes of penetrating damp
Some of the causes are overflowing gutters, missing roof tiles and covered air bricks. Before any problems appear, the ingress of water penetrating in your property can often be weeks or months.
How to identify Penetrating Damp
- Damaged timber as a result of the wood being saturated by damp.
- The key to eliminate penetrating damp is to find the source.
- Water marks that appear on the masonry.
- Damaged plaster.
- Black mould.
- Musty smell.
Treating penetrating damp
Stormdry Masonry Protection Cream can be used to provide protection against rain penetration without affecting the visual appearance of the brickwork, stonework or masonry.
Stormdry Protection Cream penetrates deeply into masonry substrates preventing the absorption of rainwater into porous buildings materials such as brickwork and stonework whilst still allowing the passage of water vapour, still allowing the wall to breathe.
Benifits of Stormdry
- Waterproof masonry.
- One coat application.
- Limits biological growth
- Saves upto 29% on energy bills.
- Can be used on a variety of substrates.
- Lining the pores of the masonry rather than blocking them.
- Walls able to breathe.
- Stormdry starts to penetrate 15-20mins after application.
- Resistant to light rain after 2hrs.
- Walls return to original colour after 24-48hrs.